Does Running Burn Belly Fat

belly-fat1Well, does running burn belly fat or are you just getting your heart rate up by running? It’s a legitimate question because the first thing people do when they want to lose weight is to go on a diet and buy a pair of running shoes. Yeah, you purchase those great looking new running shoes and then set out to run a marathon because you could stand to lose 30 pounds and running a marathon is on your bucket list, so why not? No doubt that marathons are a great motivator to keep running and that the number of 26 mile events out there seems to double every year. However, if you decent to lace up and keep putting one foot in front of the other does running burn belly fat?

The Marathon: Does Running Burn Belly Fat?

There are a lot of great benefits to running and running long distance running in particular. Most people who run marathons are lean, muscular and have a great outlet to burn the stress off. Like I said many people looking to lose belly fat jump into training for a marathon thinking it will tighten their tummy and they are simply wrong. Fat loss is one of the last benefits associated with steady long distance running. Does Running Burn Belly Fat or Cause Injuries? When one looks at the number of people who start training for marathons and triathlons, the injury rate is staggering. Stress fractures, shin splints, respiratory and heart issues can become a problem. Not because running is bad for you, rather because the last time you got up and ran was probably during 10th grade gym. Completing an endurance race is a great goal, but it should be something you work toward after completing a few 5K walk/run races. Furthermore, you should get to know a few marathon racers and talk to them about developing an endurance running workout strategy.

Why Doesn’t Running Burn Belly Fat?

Mainly because it becomes predictable to the body. That’s right, a well-known study revealed thatbelly-fat2interval training (i.e mixing it up) is a more effective in weight loss than steady long-distance running. In fact the study revealed that those who trained utilizing interval training lost as much as 9 times body fat than those in the endurance training group. So Does Running Burn Belly Fat? So the answer is yes and no. If you haven’t worked out in a while then you will lose body week. A study by the International Journal of Sports Nutrition found that after 12 weeks of aerobic exercise where heart rate, duration, and time of workout remained constant that the study group experienced negligible weight loss.

The lesson: Mix it up! If you are changing the pace and intensity of your work out every several minutes then it can be said that running does burn belly fat. Because of varying heart beat and muscle confusion, the body can’t predict what amount of energy it will need to support the body, so it keeps the metabolism operating in high gear. When you participate in a steady workout (i.e. 30 minutes of jogging every day, five days a week) then your body learns in a couple of months what energy it needs to supply its needs and adjusts the metabolism accordingly.

Does Running Burn Belly Fat if You Eat Right?

Yes, not necessarily due to the running, but due to the healthy diet. A number of well respected physicians are concluding that when it comes to belly fat weight loss that 80 percent of the success can be attributed to diet and the other 20 percent to exercise. So if you are trying to lose weight drop the running shoes and pick up the right kinds of food. This is not to dismiss the importance and benefit of marathons and those who run them. Quite the opposite, those who run marathons do so to get a workout and not necessarily to lose belly fat. If you are looking to lose belly weight switch to interval training and experience success. In summary, does running burn belly fat when it’s done as interval training, yes. Does running burn belly fat when it’s done as endurance training the answer is no.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *